Health Security: Getting Prepared for The Next Pandemic, Epidemic and Endemic
The COVID-19 pandemic has shown the world that disease outbreak at one corner of the world can reach other places in matter of time, and one of the hallmark of safeguarding the country is to know how to manage any outbreak in our personal environments and the communities at large. Health Security: Getting Prepared for The Next Pandemic will give an in-depth discourse about how to get ready for another pandemic by covering the following areas:
- What pandemics are, differences between endemics, epidemics and pandemics, and their characteristics.
- The possible pandemics that may happen soon, possible epidemics in Africa and the possible endemics in Nigeria.
- How the endemics, epidemics and pandemics are managed at the international, national and local levels.
- How individuals can manage endemics, epidemics and pandemics at personal and community levels.
- And many other enquiries that will be treated during the Question & Answer session.
Location, Date and Time
While the exact times for the BioTalks would be communicated later, the assigned dates and ascertained locations are:
- Akure, Ondo State | Friday, August 13th, 2021 | ShoKenny Hub, Alagbaka, Akure.
- Ibadan, Oyo State | Friday September 10th, 2021 | GeneLab Seminar Room, Mokola, Ibadan.
- Ado-Ekiti, Ekiti State | Friday, October 15th, 2021 | MicroBiotics Seminar Room, Egbewa, Ado-Ekiti.
Bosede Alowooye is the current acting State Epidemiologist under the Ekiti State Ministry of Health. She is an enthusiastic public health professional with a background in Microbiology and a trained epidemiologist.
As the pioneer Emergency Preparedness and Response Officer In Ekiti State Ministry of Health between 2011 – 2018, she, among other things, (1) strengthened the Emergency Preparedness unit in the state, and coordinated the Ebola response activities in Ekiti State during the 2014 Ebola outbreak and for Monkeypox outbreak in the state in 2017; (2) coordinated preparedness and response activities for epidemics by training health workers on different aspects of emergency response, and also investigated suspected outbreaks and spearhead mass awareness creation for Epidemic-prone diseases, and; (3) participated in different health surveys in the state for diseases like Malaria, HIV and Schistosomiasis, and served as State Technical facilitator for National and State Immunization Plus Days, Measles Campaigns and Maternal, Newborn and Child Health Weeks from 2010 to 2014.
She has also worked as the Surveillance Outbreak Response Management and Analysis System (SORMAS) Implementation Officer under Nigeria Center For Disease Control (NCDC) between 2018 and 2020, where parts of her duty include: (1) providing technical leadership to the State Surveillance Team on the use of SORMAS dashboard for data driven decision making; (2) provided mentoring support and supervision to local government Disease Surveillance and Notification Officers (DSNOs) and their assistants on data collection and data entry using the SORMAS tool, and; (3) building the capacity of state and LGA surveillance team to enter and analyze surveillance data using the SORMAS tool and provide regular reports.
Among her various activities as the acting Ekiti State Epidemiologist are: (1) provision of quality and effective leadership for the public health security infrastructure in the state and ensuring the proper implementation of Integrated Disease Surveillance and Response and International Health Regulations in the state; (2) supervision of the activities of the State Disease and Surveillance and Notification Officer, State Laboratory Focal Person and the State Emergency Preparedness and Response Officer, and; (4) coordination of the communication of laboratory results from the laboratory and ensures feedback reaches the LGAs and ensuring smooth running of the Public Health Emergency Operations Center to take actions as appropriate.
Other activities worth mentioning include:
- Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist, Malaria IMPACT Project, Ekiti State Ministry of Health, April 2021-Present
- Assistant State Epidemiologist, Ekiti State Ministry of Health, August 2020-February 2021
- M&E in charge of maternal mortality in the state June 2018 –August 2020
- Epidemiologist for Alliance For International Medical Action (ALIMA) Apr 2018- Jun 2018
- Nigeria Field Epidemiology and Laboratory Training Program Resident, Institute Of Lassa Fever Research And Control, Irrua Specialist Teaching Hospital, Irrua, Edo State, July 2015 – May 2017
- Monitoring and Evaluation Officer Avian Influenza Control Project, May 2008- Dec 2010
- Logistic Officer, Ekiti State Ministry of Health Malaria Control Unit, Feb 2006-Apr 2008
Skilled at data collection, analysis, monitoring and evaluation, community engagement, outbreak investigation and response, she has received many awards of excellence for her works, has multiple professional certifications within and outside the country, has numerous publications to her name, has attended countless conferences within and outside the country and given various presentations as well.
To attend kindly go to the registration page to fill the form.